Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Probably Shouldn't Write This....

I probably shouldn’t write this post, but I’m not reading what I’m feeling anywhere. And writers need courage to be any good. There is a quote that The Sun magazine uses to explain its editorial policy and it goes something like this: “You can’t shine a light on something without burning.” I love The Sun, so out of respect, here goes.

I do judge political candidates by their religion. I judge them by everything they believe in. I find it strange that I am upbraided for this stance by almost everyone opining on this subject in the media.
I have friends who have left a church, partially because of the church’s views on women and their proper place in the home. I do not want a president who is a member of a church whose teachings are offensive to my rights in this country. If you are a member of a group, I assume you agree witht he group. If not, enlighten me. Talk about it. Don't just hate me for asking.

If you do not believe what your church says, leave the church. If your church is split, denounce those parts you disagree with. If your church has a history of excluding African-Americans, tell me that you think that is wrong. People make mistakes. Churches make mistakes. But you cannot be silent and then accuse me of being anti-religious because I want answers about the connection between what your church says and what you will do.
Religion is not sacred, if you’ll pardon the irony. If a candidate is going to use his or her beliefs to limit my rights, I will withhold my vote.

Why can’t we talk about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment